Saturday, April 19, 2008

Rethink rear seat belt by Tian Lai via e-mail

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:26:59 +0100 (BST)
From:"Lee KS" View Contact Details  View Contact Details
Subject: Rethink rear seat belt by Tian Lai via e-mail (The Sun Friday April 18 2008)
To:letters@thesundaily.com
Dear sirs,

First of all a disclaimer. I am no expert on this subject. I am only at best a concerned fellow Malaysian trying to share my thoughts on this issue. No malice to you or Tian Lai is intended.

Thank you for highlighting Tian Lai's e-mail on the above matter.

I wish to congratulate the Transport Ministry for going ahead with the implementation of the rear seat belt requirement effective June this year. Personally I think the authorities should have considered this move a long time ago. Anyway it is always better late than never!

Safety for the people must never be compromised irrespective of the cost involved or inconvenience caused. I am confident that the ministry as well as other involved authorities would have explored and have seriously looked into all the implications that Tian Lai had raised.

Yes, in the name of safety, people using public transportation such as buses should also be required to belt up as well. I am sure this requirement may not go well with the populace. But if it is safer for me to buckle a seat belt when I travel on buses I would definitely be willing to abide with the regulation which to be enforced for the sake of my safety.

I was in South Korea a few years ago for a tour there. I remember very clearly that we had to belt up on the tour bus and our local guide told us that it is a safety requirement in Korea. If it is feasible for the Koreans, it should be feasible for us Malaysians.

Yes, the rear seat belt requirement would create some inconveniences for people with bigger families. However if I am in this situation, I may consider one of the following options:

(a) Suggest to the family members that we shop at places nearer home. Hence I would only have to make a maximum of two shuttle trips at the most to bring my family to the place or places concerned for shopping.

(b) Suggest taking public transportation for a change. We may stop at any convenient places along the bus route to do our shopping. My children may get to enjoy the adventure of bus rides once in a while.

Yes, I agree. The rear seat belts must be made affordable. Some unscrupulous business people must be fore warned not to take advantage of the situation to capitalise on this ruling to make fast bucks for themselves.

What is needed is not more time for a more detailed study of the implications which may arise or making adjustments to the ruling at hand before implementation. What is really needed is a paradigm shift to accept this new requirement with an open mind and an open heart at a minimal cost and inconvenience to ourselves. It is a worthwhile sacrifice to make for our sake and for the sake of our children!

Lee Kim Seong

Add:16 Jalan Margosa SD 10/3
Bandar Sri Damansara
52200 Kuala Lumpur

No comments: