Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Who looks after the pedestrian bridges in Kuala Lumpur?

Being a senior now, one of the places that I would be visiting quite often is the Kuala Lumpur Hospital located at Jalan Pahang. As it is not easy to find a parking bay within the compound of the hospital, it is my normal habit to park my Kelisa at a private car park for a fee of RM3.00 which permits parking for the whole day. Each visit to the hospital would mean 1/2 day there and the fee to pay is still affordable.

My normal route to the hospital would be via the pedestrian bridge (I hope the term is correct!). I believe with all heart that this is the safest way to cross Jalan Pahang to get to the hospital, not opting for a quick dash across at the risk of our lives. Keselamatan harus diutamakan! I will never fail to take a good look at the bridge and to note its cleanliness or otherwise. I would not be wrong to conclude that the bridge has never ever been swept before. In Bandar Sri Damansara Alam Flora has a "sapuan jalan" schedule for all the roads in the township. I was given to understand that only the principal roads are looked after on a daily basis whereas the other roads would be swept twice a month. This is only on paper!

So who is responsible for the pedestrian bridges in Kuala Lumpur? At least for now, who is responsible for the maintenance and the cleanliness of this bridge in question? I hope to get some answers soon.

The bridge is clean enough for at least one person (he appears to be a foreigner). This morning I found him fast asleep , oblivious to the happenings around him. I also noted that part of the awnings is now missing. Stolen perhaps? Flown away maybe? No one know for sure!

In another 12 years time we would become a developed nation. There are so much to be done before we get there.

No comments: